A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Sunday, January 19, 2014

New Year Resolution Kept


Part of making this resolution public on the blog was by doing so forced me to a commitment.  "Well now I have to do this".  So I got right to it.  Initially I thought it would be fun and challenging to create something digitally on the iPad through a couple of sketching and drawing apps I installed.  I sent away for a special pen designed for this sort of thing and sat down trying to learn this new form of art.  Well after several days and numerous attempts I just wasn't "feeling it".  I came to the realization that there was no substitute for the feel of putting a pen point to paper.  There is a lot more precision and control to be had the old fashion way.  I'll not give up on iPad art but for now I'll stick to what I know.

Long ago I did a portrait of a dog we had.  It was a really nice piece if I do say so myself and unfortunately I have lost it.  I don't know where it is.  At any rate, I decided to do a portrait of my little buddy.  Once I got started on the drawing, it felt good.  It was a nice feeling to be once again doing pen and ink after way too long having not done any.  I held myself to no more an hour a day working on it. After a few days I realized I should have selected an easier subject to start on being as rusty as I am having lost some of the skill and technique I once had.  Nothing is better for improvement than practice. And too, trying to get a cat to sit still for an hour is a challenge in itself.  Try it some time. (Just kidding. I had a picture to work from.)  Anyway, I reached a point where dissatisfaction started to creep in and when that happens it is best to stop and move on, and so I did.  But it was a good exercise in getting the juices flowing once again and in that I am quite pleased.  I am working on another piece now and later on I'll do another one of Sinbad, a much better one for he deserves it.  Trust me, I'll not misplace it.



16 comments:

  1. Nice try. I like it. I had the same experience as you with drawing on an ipad. It sucks. Still I had one drawing of our cat Sofietje that I still have today. Perhaps I put it one day one my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must've had a premonition; I was only thinking of your elephants drawing tonight and was almost going to ask ...how's your new year drawing project going?!

    I might imagine that drawing on the ipad to be completely alien to your early days of art John; you might enjoy exploring digital drawing more, when you have put more time and rewards with your more traditional art methods. I actually really like your Sinbad sketch with lots of stippling. It has a somewhat comic-character look to it. Glad you made your start John and be sure to stick with it. I should think it might be an enjoyable project to work with when you travel too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is cute, so different as a photo. Drawing is one of the things I abosuletly have no talent for. I always admire people who can bring something to live on a piece of paper. Go on with drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like it! rather edgy look to his pose. yay! keep 'em coming! (as i need to get to doing something for feb's giveaway).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I wish I had half the talent...I do like this but can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I think that wonderful John. I could never ever get even that far.

    Love to see more.

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I like Sinbad's portrait, John, and encourage you to keep working in this medium until you appreciate it too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you are doing great! Don’t give up. This is really nice. I know the feeling with the pen. I borrowed a drawing dap and stylus from Gene which attaches to the computer, and I was a real failure. I need to go back and try it again. By the way...check out my post...there is a reference to Sinbad. Bud LOVES your soup!!! Says he is going to Gettysburg on Wednesday to do a dry run on a run he is doing in February. He misses those type runs so badly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice drawing! That's some model you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicely done.
    I am envious of Sinbad's mustache :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. John, I love the drawing of Sinbad's face. Its beautifully drawn, you sort of lost interest in the boy's body, though.

    Cheers,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! I envy a talent for drawing because I can barely make a stick figure look decent. I hope to see more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. once every 10 years I get a desire to learn to draw. I buy the books "How To Draw", the pads and pencils, and go for it, gung ho. Then I can't draw and give up.
    Now I have an app that takes a photo and turns it into a drawing in about half a second. Love it.

    Fantastic cat drawing though, I can appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are quite right, digital art is no substitute for the "old technology"!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry, that was me ...couldn't seem to edit my post..so had to cancel and begin again.... and, all I was really saying was... what a great start and that I hope you keep at it...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.