The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

The 1500's pt.3


People cooked in the kitchen in a big kettle that always hung over the fire.  They mostly ate vegetables and did not get much meat.  They would eat the stew for dinner leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight then start over the next day.  Sometimes the stew had food in it that had been in there for quite a while, hence the rhyme "peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old". 

(had to borrow this image from the Internet as with the two up above)

Sometimes they could obtain pork which made them feel quite special.  When visitors came over they would hang up their bacon to show off.  It was a sign of wealth and that a man "could bring home the bacon".  They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and "chew the fat". 

Two more to go.  Good stuff too.



8 comments:

  1. ... and to think that we have the nerve to use the term "good old days!" It was a rough life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always butchered four hogs each year...mom salt cured the bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me laugh when I see where my everyday lingo has come from . . .like Chew the Fat.

    Cheers,

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ii'm glad things have changed a lot!
    Very interesting (and funny) post, I'll probably think about it next time I see a piece of bacon! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to know where these sayings came from.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.