The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Monday, February 24, 2014

Very Sad to See


As I arrived at the flea market early yesterday morning I came upon fire trucks in the parking lot and I figured they were holding a training exercise.  As I rounded the corner of the Veterans Memorial building I saw they were putting out the flames on someone's motor home.  This just made me sick to see feeling so bad for the person.  They were not parked near the market but on the other side of the Veterans Building.  Maybe they were a traveler who over-nighted in the parking lot, I don't know.  But I thought about myself traveling and something like this happening.  I would be devastated.  I overheard a conversation at the market that the owner went to start the vehicle, something popped in the engine compartment and the fire began.  I have two fire extinguishers in my motor home.  One is in an outside compartment which is always locked.  I see now that is not good.  I'll move it inside with the other one.  I wasn't going to take pictures of someone's misfortune but on the way out decided to do so as no one was around.  I thought maybe I would put it onto the blog if for no other reason than maybe someone reading this will think about it some and have a fire extinguisher in their vehicle at the ready all of the time.



On a good note, I picked up this little tripod for $1.
It'll be put to good use like holding that darn iPhone steady.



15 comments:

  1. yes not a good day for the owner; we never know what each day will bring. A good find for you at the market John. (ps, I have a smile for you on my blog :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes for you as motor home owner yourself this must be quite a shock. Good to think then of measures to prevent more damage than required or think about it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fire looks always so sad, in no time everything has gone. Can't look at it when it is someone's home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH my! This is very sad indeed and an important warning to others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes , there's only one word to describe this and that's devastating. Much more should be done as far as safety education is concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That poor guy and his motorhome! That would totally devastate me too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be bad enough to have that happen near home...it would be horrible to be traveling and have that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. John,
    So, does the iPhone screw into the tripod? Is there a spot in the case for this?
    Thanks.
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm wondering the same thing about that tripod. My iPhone doesn't have a threaded receiver for a tripod like that. Did you buy something that the iPhone slips into which in turn attaches to the tripod?

    Cheers,
    Peter
    A retired photographer looks at life from behind an RV steering wheel.
    Life Unscripted

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm wondering the same thing about that tripod. My iPhone doesn't have a threaded receiver for a tripod like that. Did you buy something that the iPhone slips into which in turn attaches to the tripod?

    Cheers,
    Peter
    A retired photographer looks at life from behind an RV steering wheel.
    Life Unscripted

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm wondering the same thing about that tripod. My iPhone doesn't have a threaded receiver for a tripod like that. Did you buy something that the iPhone slips into which in turn attaches to the tripod?

    Cheers,
    Peter
    A retired photographer looks at life from behind an RV steering wheel.
    Life Unscripted

    ReplyDelete
  12. after reading your most recent posts, I now see where you came up with the idea.....you are just way toooo clever. am at home nursing the rotting back and bud is off with one of my 43 year old former students to a race.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.