A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Monday, March 17, 2014

Modern Times

- continued from yesterday -

In 2004 I bought a 1995 Isuzu Trooper.  Air conditioning, automatic transmission, power steering, power brakes, power windows, power everything!  What a powerful age we live in!

I had that vehicle for 4 years and really liked it.  It now lives in Alaska.  
These photos are from a trip to Death Valley.

I had to smile at this when digging out these photos from 2005.  Death Valley fuel prices are always astronomic for they have to truck the fuel in from so far away.  So at the time I was shocked enough to take this photo.  Ha!  These are standard everyday California prices now.

Our entry into the RV world was in 1999 with a 1972 Winnebago Brave.



 Sinbad liked it.

We had it for 8 years and had a lot of fun in it.  Then in 2007 came the 2006 View, purchased used at one year old as the previous owner wanted a new 2007 model.  This RV was like moving from a Land Rover to an Isuzu Trooper and I was spoiled in no time at all, which is part of the reason in selling the Trooper when I did.  How could one ever go back to roughing it after this?  To this day it remains the best investment I've ever made.

So come along as Sinbad and I head east once again with no real plan in mind, 
just seeing what there is to see along the back roads of America.

But first, it'll take us a couple of days of travel just to get out of California
 which is what we are doing while you are reading this.





16 comments:

  1. Have a nice and safe trip and come back with lots of stories and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a wonderful trip, John, and that you take tons of photos to share with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to the journey, but I shall be in my armchair - now that is being spoiled!

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoying the journey -- safe travels and good weather on your side

    ReplyDelete
  5. This should be fun, John and Sinbad! I really enjoyed the last trip!

    Cheers,
    Jo, Stella and Zkhat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Envy, envy! :) Sure beats curling up in the back of the Jeep. I'm hoping there's at least a used Sportsmobile in my future....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi John...Once a camper always a camper, no matter the situation!!
    Thanks for the share of your coming up through the years as a camper!!
    Drive and camp safe!!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drive safe. We'll be waiting to see what you have to share.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and Sinbad, wild adventurers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. And then to think that i had my first car when i was 58. Never needed one before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy your visits into the past. Let me know if your travels bring you up towards Salt Lake City, I'll take you out to Antelope Island and buy you lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you're on your way. Stay safe and keep posting. Meanwhile, we're still in the wait mode.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How I wish I could talk Buddy into something like this. I would LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.