The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Friday, March 7, 2014

Mushrooms Galore


Once I arrived at my next secret trail head (with no water crossing to negotiate) mushrooms were all over the place, more than I've ever been able to locate at any other time before.


They were so happy after waiting for the rains for so long.

These are called Turkey Tails

and I just don't remember seeing them so brilliantly colored before.  

They last year around but are usually dried out and pale colored.  
The rain makes them come to life in full technicolor.

It's been so long since it last rained real good I think I just forgot what they are suppose to look like.
I am back out there today looking for more.  For me the hunt is as much fun as photographing them.




11 comments:

  1. Yes water does a lot for nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes water does wonders but not to much please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. quite the treat to find them in peak condition like this John; made of great nature shots

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, those are very colourful turkey tails!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should check out the mushrooms on Mt. Tam Blog he's been capturing. The link is on my blogroll if you want to see them. Makes me want to hop on plane and go! Glad it's spring for you guys out there, no sign in sight yet here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mushrooms sure do have a way of secretly waiting and waiting...and then popping up after some rainy weather. I really like the ones in your second photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely mushroom shots. Do morel mushrooms grow in CA John. I love to deep fry them.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.