A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Okay, I Pulled the Trigger


I am only posting this for I have nothing else to give, otherwise I probably wouldn't mention it.  I got fed up with the sluggishness of my regular laptop and the near-death wheezes of my old travel laptop, so I got a new one.  I went to Best Buy (that's why the limousine photo of the other day)  "just to look".  I decided to go with one that had the highest resolution available in a PC without jumping ship to a Mac as my wife constantly tells me I should.  Besides the more than double in cost, the post photo processing program I use is not available for Macs and I didn't want to give that up.  I was going to get another computer with a 15 inch screen like I had before.  Once in the store...there she was, sitting over on the other table and I was immediately smitten with all of her 17.5 inches.


None were in stock so I had to wait 2 days before I could pick it up.  That was okay as it gave me time to get the travel laptop cleaned out and my everyday laptop organized and backed up to an external hard drive.  When I came home with the new one, the initial start-up was easy, but tweaking it like to what I am familiar with without having all that "fluff" to learn all over new, took some time.  Two days later and I feel good about it.  The best part is my pictures look SO MUCH BETTER on this new laptop and guess what? - so do yours.  You people take really great pictures!

This lasted all of about one minute.

I plan to go for a hike today and get some new fodder for the blog.




20 comments:

  1. Interesting post John, my Daughter is the laptop person, whereas I'm a desktop guy. We have both recently upgraded,she stayed with Acer, I went for HP. the main stipulation for may Daughter was a min. Intel i5 processor, as she does a lot of film editing. So as soon as I saw how well it ran I too went for i5 very pleased with the result.
    Looking forward to your next lot of fodder.
    All the best Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I know this from Sofietje every buy makes a lot people and animals happy. One with the content and one with the package. Hope it will serve you well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok so that explains why you ditched out on the bike now. Enjoy the hike and seeing your pics big-time better than before John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, John! Sounds like you are going to be very happy.

    Sinbad looks happy too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just went from a desktop (HP) to a laptop (Sony) and I LOVE the Sony! I have a Mac Air that I have to use for school stuff and I HATE IT! Very user UNfriendly, IMHO.
    Cheryl Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need a new laptop so bad. Congrats on taking the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hooray!!! i LOVE my toshiba satellite model (4+ yrs old and still trucking). LOVE! yes, mine has a 17 inch screen, too. the only bad thing about the screen is using it outside is next to impossible as it picks up glare SO easily. but, hey, i sit my fanny in my office more times than not, so no worries for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats, John. I got a "New" laptop from my sister-in-law a couple weeks ago with Windows 7. (I'm always a little behind on the OS) I wiped and reloaded back to the original and I couldn't believe how many updates it had to download and install. It was literally over 200. Anyway, I'm jealous. I'd love to have one with the 17.5 screen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice machine.

    Sinbad is lookin as handsome as ever

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also have a 17.5" screen, I love it. I do alot of quilting, love to see the pics so much better. And of course there's the kitty pictures, Hi Sinbad! You'll love it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cats love a good box!
    That is the same artist - he now lives in California.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the new kit John... looking forward to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you found the right one for you. That can make you really happy isn't it? And those boxes, cats love them, I had my Christmas box from my fomer work, a half year in the room here. Sofietje couln't get enough of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on your new laptop and improved display. I always prefer to look at pix on my better monitor at home (instead of the one at work)....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing like a fuzzy critter in a box.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you get years of use from your new laptop...and that Sinbad gets to enjoy that box longer than a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on the new machine. I hope it serves you well. Your pleasure in it is fun to behold.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the new laptop. Cat love boxes, don't they! Macs are expensive, but worth it. I know down the road I will need a new one. So the 17.5 inch is a good size?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, I need a new laptop so badly. I like mine but its almost 10 years old and it just is wheezing and puffing along. Its a Compaq Centrino with intel.
    Gotta win the lottery so we (hubby) and I can both get new computers. His Desktop is an it's last legs too. Too, too old like us.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.