The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Monday, March 24, 2014

The Border


This is the border of Mexico and America in New Mexico.  The iron work stretched for mile upon mile seemingly endlessly.  I couldn't make sense of it.  What was the point?  Anyone could climb over it.  I did.  It would stop a vehicle.  Probably a tank too.

Here I had climbed over and was now standing in Mexico, unless I needed to be on the other side of the barbed wire fence to be officially in Mexico, I don't know.  Maybe I was on the border itself, neither in one country or the other.  Perhaps the iron work is the American barrier and the barbed wire is Mexican barrier.  America has a bigger budget for that sort of thing.

There was a vast expanse of desert on each side of the border as far as I could see, plus much more beyond the horizon.  I cannot imagine anyone walking all the distance.  It would take days if not weeks and with no water anywhere. Why just my standing to get this picture my socks got filled with stickers.
  


31 comments:

  1. yikes, those stickers look very annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the grim reality of todays politics . Not the best attitude of humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very inviting. "This land is my land", wasn't that a famous song once?

    ReplyDelete
  4. harsh country. i guess the vehicles are all they're trying to stop with the coyotes transporting.

    (i'd love it if you would link this post in on thursday for my new Good Fences meme. it is THE fence example.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You’d really have to want to get to the other side to endure all the heat, briars, and no water. UGH! These are great photos. I had never seen anything like them before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder who got the contract for the gazillion dollars it cost to build that fence. Does Halliburton make fences?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I do have to say it looks better than the wall that everyone keeps proposing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting photo's. Watch out for the stickers and snakes too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice beautiful photos, crystal clear colors. Sounds like you are really enjoying that flat land. Keep on going...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your thoughts here. Interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I imagine the fence is mostly for show. Enjoyed your thoughts on the subject.

    Visiting from Tex's Good Fences.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Border control certainly is a perplexing issue in many areas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your fence photos! I see where they're putting all the recycled metal now. O.O And I agree; it makes not a lick of sense. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for that glimpse of something I'd probably never see in person. Enjoyed reading what you had to say too :D)

    ReplyDelete
  15. ... guess it wasn't too much fun getting those stickers (? prickles) on your socks. Tough country all right

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting to see. Thanks for showing this to us.

    Visiting from Good Fences,
    ~Lindy

    My fence

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very barren countryside. I can't imagine anyone in Mexico travelling across it to get to the border.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So that's the border fence? It's got a forbidding feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. One place I have no desire to go near.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmm, I guess maybe for vehicles...but what do I know? Stickers are one thing...I'll bet the snakes would get ya too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. no at all familar with all this, but your captures are awesome!! love that pretty blue sky!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a really interesting fence on the 'American' side. Great photos and scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  23. HI Very interesting and great fence shots. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great point about walking over it so easily, and yet I I'd be wondering is anybody watching me from who knows where? It's very interesting to see this barrier up close, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is pretty amazing...It just seems so pointless. I guess it keeps the wild 4 wheeler's out! I'm sure there are 'eyes' somewhere close. Wouldn't want to test it out, though. Great shots! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  26. Rugged country and fence too! Love the yellow blooms on the cactus, great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such harsh-looking country, but beautiful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Maybe it's the most over-engineered, poorly designed guard rail on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very interesting. Love the perspective of your photos...great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete