The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Way it Was


As I prepare to leave for our next road trip this Monday I thought back to days of old when I would take road trips and camp with much less stuff and a great deal less comfort.

This is in the 1980's in my 1971 Land Rover.  The sun had just set and the moon was rising over a huge dry lake in Nevada that I made yearly pilgrimages to.

Minimalist camping.  I loved it.

I eventually grew tired of making up my bed each day so I got a long wheelbase model, 
a 1967 Land Rover.  It had more room inside and rode a lot smoother too.


We even took it down into Baja California.


Then Sinbad came into my life towards the end of my 21 year love/hate relationship with Land Rovers.

- to be continued -




11 comments:

  1. nice to see how you and your treks has evolved John. It's nice now to enjoy the outdoors with a degree of extra comfort thrown in too

    ReplyDelete
  2. A landrover must be something special in those days in the usa I guess. But better prepared for the harsh conditions as a vw van as I see where you were driving. Must have been a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is nice to see your your vehicles have changed during the years. It looks like an adventurous expedition with all the stuff on top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these shots and your Rovers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John... Dear me I remember some crazy camping days to, with the old station wagon,2 kids,dog,and slept in what was called a bakers tent,just a flap over the
    front!: )

    Love your memories with the land rover !!
    I don't know about you, but I couldn't camp like that these days lol!!

    Looking forward to see your next post!!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice walk down memory lane. Isn't it wonderful to have photos to help us remember the memories?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really sailed that land yacht!




    ALOHA from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral

    =^..^= <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. BAJA CALIFORNIA! you are such a cool highway fly indeed ;-)
    have you read Cortazar? one of his last works reminds me a bit of you (except that instead of a sinbad, he did it with his wife)
    kind regards! -Meli

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.