A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Thursday, March 13, 2014

There's No Success Like Failure,


and failure is no success at all.  -  Bob Dylan

   I've been working on a chest mount for my GoPro camera so it can capture the trail while hiking.  A head strap mount came with the camera and this I modified into a chest mount.  Then I went for a hike.  A half hour of footage later, every step I took had sent shock waves through the camera.  "Well, that's no good."  So I looked into getting a proper chest mount rig from GoPro and learned this is a common issue if used for walking, although the chest mount does better than a helmet mount for that activity.  Okay, $39.95 saved there.

   The other bright idea I had was a Steadicam for the camera thus making smooth video without unwanted movement.  $100 plus there.  "Hmm.."  There is enough do-it-yourself videos on YouTube so I decided to make my own.  Making it was the easy part.  Getting the balance just right was an exercise in futility.  Oh how much time I spent on that part I'll not say.  When I felt "this is as good as it is going to get" I took it out for a test run.  Ever been in a row boat on a lake with a good stiff wind blowing?  There went more deleted footage.

So instead you get more mushrooms.

Growing on a downed tree that I walked beneath.
This allowed a nice looking underneath point of view.





14 comments:

  1. Nice and delicate as the light falls trough. Must give you dirty pants by lying so low.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the little pleated mushroom caps John - don't give up on the video-cam; maybe all smooth-sailing when you come up with an even better solution

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are excellent photos, you did a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just caught up on a whole backlog of your posts - seems like the amphibians and the fungi have caught your attention recently!

    I got a cheap version of a go-pro a month of so ago - took it snorkelling, results are in the waste bin! Back to the drawing board!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  5. i always like your fungi.

    thanks for not including moving footage. makes me nauseous as all get-out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pleated mushroom caps are amazingly beautiful.

    Re the post below this one: those guys are finalists for the All-Time Grand Champion Darwin Award! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never knew Steadicam made inexpensive units like that. Very tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I like the delicate mushrooms -- kind of pleated looking. Are these edible? Our (grown) grandkids hunt for chantrelles in Oregon and they are delicious. But you really have to know what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry nothing worked out for you. pretty shrooms though

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bud has been wanting one, but I have been discouraging him...and then I read your post to him. You sealed the deal for me :-) Hope you are able to get the thing to be steady and record your hikes as you would like. If you ever do, let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bud has been wanting one, but I have been discouraging him...and then I read your post to him. You sealed the deal for me :-) Hope you are able to get the thing to be steady and record your hikes as you would like. If you ever do, let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds rather tricky to me as most of us bounce as we walk. You may come up with the perfect solution yet, though. It may come to you when you are thinking about something else.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, this answers a question I've been asking myself! (no need to try the gopro for hiking, I guess)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.