The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Friday, May 16, 2014

Dead Peoples Things For Sale


Long time followers of my blog know that my travels involve seeking out the weird, unusual and quirky things in our country.  In doing this it takes me off the well traveled roads into the small towns of America.  So it was this sign that brought me to Woodbine, Georgia.  Just the sign, nothing else.  As it was, the antique shop (otherwise junk store) was closed the day I rolled through town.  I already expected the sign, that was if it still existed and the local townsfolk hadn't put up a stink about it, but I found their way of saying they were closed, well that was a first for me.



Too bad for I imagine Jodie and Windy were most likely a couple of real characters.


13 comments:

  1. A weird sign, why mentioning the things you sell are from dead people. In second hand shops they mostly are and when they are antique as they are advertising, you can be sure the owners are dead a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha shut sounds like the dutch word sluit what means closing. Must be some connection there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. I'm sure Jodie and Windy are characters indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we become a little sceptical of 'signs' sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovin' the firefighter sign, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's what I call fun marketing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is funny! Also sad and true about dead peoples things. I never think of it that way when I'm shopping antiques or estate sales, but that's mostly what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, they would be fun to meet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder what time they unshut.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, very honest sign! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a Brother that moved to Woodbine GA. I have visited this Antique Shop twice. I am from Wisconsin. Once two years ago and once last week. I met Windy the first time I visited. I remember him as being a friendly yet grumpy man who had a lot of great stories. I was surprised to visit last week to find that Windy had passed. I was greeted by a nice fella in his late 60's by the name of (sp) Lenny? This man was a life long friend of Windys and was given the honors of taking over the antique shop. Not sure what his plans are after everything is cleared out of the store.

    I did buy a few things from him that were still in the store 2 years ago. Windy would never negotiate and was a bit of a hoarder. (Sorry Mr. Briese)

    The store still has tons of old types of glass kitchen ware that have no interest to me. Many other collectables too. Mrs. Briese was quite the collector of different types of Glass ware. She passed away I believe in 2010. In addition to the antique shop the real gems are in the Firefighter Museum. Windy collected all types of items anything to do with Firefighters. From all over the world. They are all on display for you to see. Fire Hydrants, Fire Hats, Fire Truck Toys, Many Photos, Toys etc.

    Windy was a local legend. Greatly involved in the Volunteer Fire Department community in Georgia and all over the world. I would highly recommend going out of your way to stop here. Who knows what will happen in a few months or years. Not sure if Windys friend is going to continue running the store.

    Justin Jeske jjeske88@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.