A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Hurricane Road


My goal for this trip was to tour the Gulf of Mexico coastline as close to the waters of the Gulf as possible.  I hit the Gulf at Corpus Christi Texas and from there began our way around.  In western Louisiana we followed along on Highway 82 where the following pictures were taken.
I believe this is damage from Hurricane Ike in 2008.  Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005 were in this same area also.

This is what is left of a hardware store right at the turn in the highway where it begins heading east.
It was my first exposure to hurricane damage and the effects of tidal surge.

Here this home was completely swept away or of what little remained the property owners had since cleared away the debris.

 An example of how the tidal surge removed the corner of this home 
but the remainder was left standing.

Brick homes fared better but not by much.  I can barely make out the words beneath the window to the right:  Do Not Raze.  The owner didn't want the Army Corps Engineers come by and bulldoze their house down.

This house looked as if it was being prepared for a new foundation.

The new Library which makes me wonder what became of the old one and all of the books inside.

This is how reconstruction is being done.  I will have more examples of this type of building and write about it more tomorrow when we cross into Mississippi.

Notice here how the ground has been built up before placing the trailer home in place.  This will take care of any tidal surge but as for the high wind that can approach 200 mph in a hurricane,
I wouldn't think the trailer stands much of a chance.

Interesting as to how the trees in all the other pictures are doing fine but these are done for.
A new barn?

Tomorrow, on into Mississippi.



14 comments:

  1. I think a lot of places are going to have to change how they build homes in the coming years.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree with Stewart. I think wood is cheaper, but I should use bricks and cellars to hide. The winds will increase in the future. Instead they built house higher up on poles, don't understand that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In early times in the Netherlands manmade hills were made (called terps) and there the people build there farms and houses on. And guess what. It still works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sad when Mother Nature lashes out so harsh. Liked the new library especially; looks very appealing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder how safe these houses will be in strong winds. Climate variability is very scary since it's causing such extremes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mother nature's fury. you're right about placing that trailer on stilts. i'd be very worried.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so sad, the lasting effects of mother nature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those do not look like very wind-resistant homes, for sure. If I was going to be in a manufactured home, I think I'd want something more like an Airstream Trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The power of hurricanes is fierce. Sad to see the damage. Building on piers might help, but I wouldn't want to be in a mobile home during hurricane force winds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot imagine living through a hurricane...or living somewhere where I have to worry about them. I much prefer to worry about tornados...LOL I guess there is something so worry about not matter where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have lived through many hurricanes having grown up in south Florida, but I will never get used to the power and damage they wage upon the area they hit. These pictures give one an excellent feel for the power and the reality that many of the places destroyed are gone for good. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think I could live in hurricane territory.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.