The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Iowa


I don't think we've seen the sun, a blue sky or even a shadow for a week now.  At least here in Iowa there haven't been any tornado watches.  Still, last night we camped next to a tornado shelter.  I slept good.

But I have seen the Antique Archaeology store in Le Clarie, home for the American Pickers TV show,   the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, and the Auto Thrill Show Museum in La Porte to name just a few sites.  So I have lots to share when we get home.  I pulled off at a McDonalds to get online and do some more research for things to see for the remainder of Iowa and the eastern half of Nebraska.

Back on the road now beating head on into the ever present prairie winds of the Great Plains. 


13 comments:

  1. I hope you get to see the fantastic train switching yard in Nebraska. The guides are amazing and it looks like a giant toy train set up. We gave it an A+. Glad you're safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe journey. Though by the look of the photo you published misjudging a curve or even meeting another vehicle look unlikely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the storms missed you. If you haven't already planned it, they say May is one of the best times to go to Jellystone....

    ReplyDelete
  4. As scary and dangerous as they are, I have to admit to a fascination with tornadoes. But that will be our little secret.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are making good progress. glad you haven't had any bad weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't forget the Bell Tower in Jefferson, Iowa. There is a great statue of Abe Lincoln on the south side of the square along the old highway 30 which went right through town. My Campfire Girls group gave him a cleaning bath one time. If you come across some historical plaques in Greene County, my dad, Del Zwicky and his pal Jim Andrew put them up years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ever luring horizon, never out traveled. Good shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great travel photo, on the road again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crazy storms abound in a lot of places. May your trips be safe!

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so jealous. I would love to just get out and go like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like a long, lonely road!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.