A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Sunday, May 18, 2014

Panhandling


North Platte, Nebraska
Every time I make a cross-country trip I come away with the fact of how few people I saw standing on a corner holding up a piece of cardboard with some desperate plea for a handout scrawled on it.  This last trip I could count all I saw on one hand.  Here in California though one can come across a half a dozen people in an hour's time driving around most any large town. This lady was an enigma for me standing there at the outlet of a Walmart parking lot for she wasn't like your usual "homeless person".


She was clean, looked in good health, was listening to her iPod or iPhone all the time.  Her backpack with frame and gear was all high quality as was her dog's saddle bags and harness.  All fairly new looking.  She fascinated me and I just knew there was a story there, maybe running away from something or someone.  I was reading my book at the time but still caught someone giving her some money.  Soon after she hefted up her pack, cinched the waist belt and the pair walked away.  I thought she was done for the afternoon and wondered Now where will she go for the night?  A half an hour later I looked up and they were back.  She must have walked over to McDonalds for dinner.  I guess it is no problem for her to leave her backpack outside with a pit bull attached.

If you cannot make out her sign it reads: In need of a good deed. Anything helps.  Look closely and there is another sign folded in half and stuffed in at the bottom of her pack frame.  I didn't make a note of it and have forgotten what it read.




11 comments:

  1. ...it's saddening to witness this happening around the world

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, an ugly sign of the times for mankind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sad and terrifying image, it can happen to anyone...

    ReplyDelete
  4. no matter what, their lives are always harder than mine. i usually give money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always in a conundrum when I see this. But you're right this one was particularly interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad she has the dog to protect her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel bad for these people but always feel a little skeptical about giving them money. After all what if they used it for drugs or alcohol.

    SAD

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's not been homeless for long, John. Soon her meagre possessions will be lost or stolen, her health and her spirit will start to fade and she'll look like all the others. Unless she's very, VERY lucky...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see this now more than I ever have before in larger towns near me. I hope the girl in your photo is a traveler, not a homeless person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have one here. I used to feel for her until she whipped out a cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am very skeptical of her...just cause of all she has. The dog looks healthy...then there is all the gear. I guess I have become old and hardened...

    in Indy in the neighborhood where my nephew lives, there is a guy going from door to door asking for handouts. He wears expensive cologne, has on expensive clothes, expensive shoes, etc...and he can get pretty insistent on people coming to the door. If they come to the front door, he goes to the back.

    Their neighbor paid him to move some tires in his garage...the neighbor had his lawnmower locked...how I don't know. But the guy took longer than he thought he should have...he checked after the guy left, and the 'lock' was broken that was holding his lawn mower.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.