The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Red Skelton Mural

Vincennes, Indiana

I was looking forward to getting back home so I could play Monday Mural again and show off what I feel is one of the best murals I have ever come across in my travels.  And as with most of my mural finds, I had made a wrong turn in town when I discovered this.


I always enjoyed his television programs.  When I looked Red Skelton up on wikipedia to verify that Vincennes was the town he was born and grew up in, I wound up reading the entire page on Red.  Here is a link to that page for those who may be interested.  Pretty cool that the town has an annual Red Skelton Festival which includes A Parade of a Thousand Clowns that is billed as the largest clown parade in the Midwest.  Now that could be a pretty scary thing for some people.

This is linked to Monday Mural


16 comments:

  1. He was a great person. Nice shot!



    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you were able to visit the museum, as long as you took a wrong turn. :-)

    I loved watching Red Skelton's TV show when I was a kid! I hope hubby and I get the chance to visit the museum one of these days, since Vincennes is only a couple of hours from where we live.

    Just curious if you happened past the George Rogers Clark National Historic Park while you were in Vincennes. It's a worthwhile stop.

    Visiting from Monday Mural.

    ~Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and he was certainly part of my growing up too John; wonderful comic

    ReplyDelete
  4. The name meant very little to me as he was barely known in the UK (not to me anyway!) but, reading the link, he certainly lived a rich and varied life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The guy, totally unknown here in the Netherlands, did a lot after reading the link. Must have had an interesting live. Thanks for showing John.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice way to remember such a good and well-known native son.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i loved his program, too, even though i was quite young. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know his work, but I like this mural. Glad you took a "wrong turn". :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A fine mural, John and quite a tribute to his long career. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural. I'm glad you're back safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember, when I was a kid, seeing his show on TV. That black painted beard was weird.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You were within a couple hours of me! And if I tell you I was in Los Angeles/Long Beach for most of April...how far was I from you?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a real blast from the past!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.