The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Tornado Safe Room


This is the campground we stayed at in  La Porte, Iowa where I made mention of parking right next to the tornado safe room.  "I slept good that night."  This was a new building recently completed a few weeks earlier.  What became of the old building I don't know.  Tornado took it maybe.  

Here are the stats on the building to make you feel safe and secure I guess.

It is otherwise the restroom and shower facility for the campground during normal weather. 

I may have been the first person to use the shower for the water barely got warm enough.  Okay, forget that.  It wasn't anywhere near warm and it was all I could do to take that much needed shower.  The worker guys were outside when I came out, teeth chattering saying "Turn on the hot water!"  That is when I learned it was a brand new facility and he'd look into adjusting the water mixer valve.

Nice to have bathrooms in a place where you seek shelter from a tornado.
I know a tornado would scare the crap out of me.

You shut these inside steel shutters when the tornado is in the area.

Thick, triple hinged, 8 screws instead of the usual 6 and

notice the holes for locking steel pins to engage into top and bottom of the frame in addition to the standard throw bolt on the side of the frame.  They are taking no chances of this protection being sucked away from the structure. 

I cannot imagine the terror one would feel being inside this building with the power blown out, surrounded in absolute blackness and wondering if it really is tornado safe as the builder claims.  
I would never want to be one to put that to a test.


7 comments:

  1. Looks safe but must make a lot noise inside when a tornado is going over this concrete bunker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this building built under ground would be more safer probably.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it's safer than a tent or mobile home but...ahem...the signs scare me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. really great that they have that in case... terrifying, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see they are prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have slept better too know that was around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting that its the shower and restroom facility but as you said...if a tornado hit it would scare the......

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.