A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Cedar Island Ferry pt.2


So while walking around exploring, whiling away the afternoon, I met a few of the locals.

I am not a horse person but I thought these were quite pretty with their long hair and thick coats.  
I was wondering if that was typical of the breed of horse 
or just the fact they lived there along the cold Atlantic coast.

I wanted to touch it, but I didn't.  
I helped it back out to deeper water with the aid of a stick. 


 This may seem impressive that I found him walking along the beach.  
Truth was I found him belly up in the sand, dead to the world.  I posed him for this shot.  
I thought it odd that the gulls hadn't made lunch of him yet.



One of the locals that I was just fine with the fact that I was 296 years too late in meeting.


This video is a tour of the ferry boat itself.  

Cost for the ferry was $30 as the Little House on the Highway is 23 feet long.   A car up to 20 feet is $15, motorcycle is $10, bicycle $3 and a pedestrian $1.  Anything over 40 feet is $45.
The 23 mile long voyage takes 2 hours and 15 minutes.






10 comments:

  1. Lot of sea related animals in this one. Great remark about only 296 years too late for the meeting. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the horse photo very much and the beach has a lot of interesting figures to meet. That is a long boattrip with the ferry 2 hours. Glad you made it to get over in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shot. A horseback ride would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you did great stabilizing this one! nice to hear your voice, too. i was beginning to wonder if you had the whole place to yourself. :) i bet some interesting conversations go on in the lounge...

    still, my kinda cruise - laid back, simple, dressed-down and a couple of hours long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once I tried to take my kayak to Cedar Island. The currents were so strong and violent that I turned back after making almost no headway in about two hours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. John these are some awesome captures. I especially love the crab pic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is amazing that the cost of 3 extra feet is $15. Glad you are not in the 40+ feet category.

    The horses are real pretty. I saw some in South Padre on the beach.

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if the gulls are so well fed there that crab isn't that appealing. Sooo, there really WAS a Blackbeard!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful captures John. How did Sinbad do on the ferry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Captures all the romance of the coast. The ferry sounds like an absolute bargain for bicycles and pedestrians - it's a pity I can't make use of it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.