A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Lodgepole Opera House

Lodgepole, Nebraska

You'd think something this big in a town of a little over 300 would be something easy to find.
I had just about given up when I finally saw it.

 I talked with a lady in town and she said they hoped to raise some money to save the Opera House but in these hard times they will have a tough time doing so.  She said the original seats are still there upstairs and in later years they showed movies in there.
 Oh the history it must have. I can imagine silent movies, maybe even vaudeville.

    This poor old building, I don't know what keeps it from collapsing.  Look how the walls are bulging.


Here is a color version so you can see all the nice patina to the sign.
Notice  G A R A G E.  Explains the gas pumps. Probably its final performance.




9 comments:

  1. I wonder does it have a heritage order on it, or they just leave these places to rot because no-one can afford to demolish them? Has had it's day it seems. There is one in the country location of Gulgong N.S.W. that has some ardent users...you can read about it here http://www.gulgong.net/prince_of_wales_opera_house.phpit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hardly La Scala, is it? By the look of those walls there may be an opera singer or two still inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great place to find. It is sad to see those old buildings gone to rack and ruin though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful old piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the photographs.
    The town reminds me of my trip to Detroit in 2012.
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes it's difficult to decide what's important to save or let go. This may have gone by too far...but we have a building in our town that was in AWFUL shape and was recovered to be part of a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, the B&W still gets my vote...if you need to know. LOL I don't know why I don't do more in B&W...maybe this and another post or two I saw the other day will serve to job my memory. When I used film cameras, one always had B&W film in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It says "garage" under "opera house". Probably more history.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.