A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Great Platte River Road Archway


Kearney, Nebraska

I had this on my list of things to see.  I knew it would be easy to find for it spans Interstate 80.
 But I certainly didn't expect it to be on such a grand scale.  

I was thinking a simple little enclosed walkway where you could look down upon the traffic below.

(disclaimer here: the following pictures I got off the Internet)
Okay, this was way more than I planned on.


Walking inside I was immediately greeted by a young lady wearing a prairie dress welcoming me to the Great Platte River Road Archway and asking if I was going to to see...something.  I don't know what she said for my eyes were fixed up this escalator ascending up into what looked like some creation out of Disneyland.  I could here music, voice recordings and sound effects emanating from the mouth of the cave above.  Finally I simply said, "I came to see the Arch".  She then guided me over to the nearby counter so I could purchase a $12 ticket.  Okay, I needed to think about this.


I wandered around downstairs, looking at things for sale in the gift shops and there was A LOT!
The tourist dollar was highly valued here.

I went into another little room that had a nice selection of brochures of more sites to see in the area. There was a lady sitting at her desk with a computer just in case you had any questions that perhaps she couldn't answer.  I think she was lonely in this room all by herself and so we had a nice visit.  What I found most interesting was her telling me of a visitor she had two weeks earlier.  The man said he had ancestors who came west on the Mormon, California and Oregon Trails all which joined together at Fort Kearney.  No one in his family had any interest in the history of their pioneering parentage and so he was here by himself.   He told the lady that his dream was to walk portions of the trails that still remain.  The man was 70 years old.  Hearing that story made my stop at The Great Platte River Road Archway complete.  Good for him and I hope the old guy fulfills his dream.





18 comments:

  1. Its often that when you travel you get more then what you asked for. A real experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12 dollars to walk over the arch is a lot of money. Didn't expect it had this Disney like experience inside. We have those cross arches over highways here with restaurants in. You can look at the traffic while eating. Isn't that fun :(!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must be the most profitable footbridge in the world. Do you have to pay another $12 to cross back?

    ReplyDelete
  4. $12 does seem like a lot to visit what is basically a highway bridge. Does look interesting though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing that there was an escalator there to make the walk across from. I'm sure that guy will fulfill his dream; he had a goal and a spirit to match

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting. I didn't know other states had these. The arch we have here in Oklahoma, near Vinita, was built in the late 50s. Back then it was quite fun to eat fried clams -Howard Johnsons- and watch traffic zoom under. Things were simple then! I can't believe they are charging money to go up, however, we did pay to go up the Arches in St. Louis, Mo and that fee was higher then $12 (blush)...enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. a grandiose tourist trap, but i bet it is a nice break, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a place. I love sites like that and would love to visit there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've travelled down 80 and don't remember seeing that. I'm glad for all the things you show us on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Kearney, Nebraska. Thanks for the return visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If that $12 brought you joy, I say it is well worth it. The place looks charming and I am sure it at least provided you a break from sitting in the car; not that that's a bad thing.

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have thought twice about $12, too...shoot, I would have thought twice about $5.

    Two of your pictures are 'broken' for me...the second and the last. The second one acts like it wants to open but won't. the last one just doesn't do anything. Don't know if it is on your end or my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, remember this from several years back. Don't think the was a visitor's center back then. The big thrill for me was how highway 80 follows part of the Lewis and Clark Trail.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When I saw this I immediately thought it was one of those restaurants that span the highway like we use to eat at when traveling in Europe. Hmmmm, I wonder if that would work here in the U.S.? We loved them, but maybe just because it was so different to us. Anyway, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. we passed under this too but never stopped. It looks really cool but depending on what you seen for the 12 bucks, I would have thought about it too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a nice story about the gentlemen.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.