The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Thomas Lincoln's Home and Farm


We were on our way towards Iowa taking a diagonal route across Illinois. After seeing Abe Lincoln's Boyhood Home I found we would be going right by his father's final home and farm. 
I thought, Why not?
We arrived just before lunch time, and no tourists were there. Nice. It was a peaceful and quiet place and I walked into the Visitor Center.  There I learned a few things. Thomas had lost three farms due to boundary disputes and defective titles.  Abe never lived here.  While Abe was a circuit court lawyer he would stop by occasionally to visit with his father (a strained relationship) and step-mother (whom he got along with quite well).  

Here's the corker: In 1893 the original log cabin Thomas built was disassembled and shipped to Chicago for the World's Exposition.  After the fair they lost it!  How can you lose a log cabin?  Burn it up as firewood, which historians surmise was its demise.  So what I was seeing was another reconstruction based on photographs taken before it was lost.

I was pretty well disillusioned after two days of this sort of thing so I took a picture of the chickens. 

I then went back to the Little House on the Highway, let Sinbad out for a walk and ate some lunch.




 Yikes! Water!

10 comments:

  1. So sweet Sinbad walks with you like a dog. Our fomer cat did so too, but Sofietje is afraid of her own shadow. They lost the cabin, that is very strange indeed. I can imagine your disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. chickens and sinbad - nice save! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking cat & nice chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew- good thing those chickens were there! LOL I would have been disillusioned too. Sinbad is one smart kitty- stay away from that bad wet stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw the sign "you are entering 1845" I thought this was a post about the current Prime Minister of Australia!! (not a forward thinker!)

    So glad I was wrong!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots of Sinbad the Explorer! You remind me of Steinbeck and Travels with Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty hard to lose a log cabin, me thinks! I guess it was hard getting good help even back the.

    I LOVE the photo of Sinbad and the water. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never the less a great post...I wish our cat would actually walk when on his leash, he becomes paralyzed, and I have to carry him. Hmmm, maybe he is smarter then me?! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would have loved to had the opportunity to take pics of the chickens! I cannot see my cats acting as well behaved as Sinbad...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.