The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Monday, September 15, 2014

Flea Market Finds


I found this really neat backpack yesterday at the flea market.  Well actually it found me. I was looking at one of these camo bags.  I asked how much and the seller said $3.  His wife chimed in saying "You can have both for $5."  Okay, that's a good deal and I can put these to use some way I was thinking.   

While I was digging for my money the seller's wife bends down and picks up this old canvas backpack.  "Here, you can have this for $5 too.  $10 dollars for all three."  I couldn't believe what she was holding.  Heck I was practicality standing on top of it and didn't even realize it.  I fell in love with this backpack at first sight.  Her husband proceeds to tell me it is an old National Forest Service backpack from the White Mountains on the east side of the Sierras in the Inyo National Forest.  And there it is, stenciled right on it.  This is one of my favorite areas in California, east of Yosemite.  The White Mountains are the home to the ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest of California where some of the trees are over 4000 years old and the White Mountains themselves have six summits that are over 13,000' (4000 meters) in height.  I once had a backpack of similar design with two compartments and buckskin bottom (which I foolishly gave away years ago) but this one exceeds it in quality and design.
Oh the history it must have and stories it could tell.

Then right next door the next seller had this old classic camp stove - $5.  I tossed it into my new canvas backpack and I was one...okay, get ready for it...happy camper.

Back home I cleaned the stove then fired 'er up.  There was still butane in the canister and it works fine.  Some research online later though is leading me to believe these fuel canisters may not be available for purchase anymore - at least here in the States.  I'll go to my nearby outfitter shop next week and learn more.  It may end up being a sit-on-the-shelf-for-looks piece.




13 comments:

  1. You had some great items, love the second backpack and I remember the camp stove very well. We also used to have them here. In our young years we all camped with those blue ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you were, indeed, filled with glee. i can tell. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great find! The space in the bottom is for a pair of shoes. I have a similar stove that I use super unleaded in and it works great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will definitely look like the seasoned camper with those finds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, you out did yourself at the flea market. Not sure if you are going to use any of them, but that's not the point! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are so many ways to use backpacks that I think you've hit the jackpot with these deals. Not so sure about the stove...but maybe you'll find a way ti fuel it. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you love finding deals like this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you found some great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I'm so impressed with your Treasures. I love special finds like those.

    I wish I could give you some of the pomegranates too. Most people don't like them and don't know what to do with them.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.