The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Monday, January 5, 2015

It is Mushroom Time


This year there has been an abundance of mushrooms up in my playground (Annadel State Park) more so than any of the other 5 years I've lived here.  Not only more but different varieties I've not seen before.  Just makes me wonder where these new breeds have been all this time.  So I will be showing some which I do not know their names nor do I know if they are safe to eat or not.  Anyway, being a State Park you cannot pick them even if you knew what you were doing.

These two were ground-huggers so I just took their picture looking straight down upon them.


Very wet that day as you can see by the water droplets on the lens



10 comments:

  1. Must be something to do with the water in the ground. Am looking forward to the next pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have very different colours.I never eat a mushroom from the woods, only from a shop, I am afraid of being poisoned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mushrooms are very interesting "plants"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. the first one reminded me of ringworm. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if mushroom spores lay dormant for years until the conditions are just right to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, John. The top one is a Lactarius (and the middle one might be also). I've heard that people pickle it (if it's L. deliciosus), but I've never done it. The bottom one looks like an Amanita, but I couldn't say which one. Probably a good idea not to eat any Amanitas since the genus includes the deadly ones (which grow abundantly in our area).

    ReplyDelete
  7. John, I don't know the difference between mushrooms, so would probably poison myself.!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know much about mushroom but they are cool to photograph and you did a great job with these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been looking forward to your mushroom photos. Where have these guys been? Lying dormant waiting for enough moisture to finally burst forth. Amazing isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.