The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Mushrooms 4


In one steep ravine I came across several different types of mushrooms, all new finds for me.









11 comments:

  1. One thing for sure no mushrooms in the desert but a lot in the forest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be rather humid in your place to have these loads of mushrooms. They are with complete family together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well who know there were so many weird and wonderfully shaped mushrooms John, I notice you didn't say much about the two middle ones above :) I think my favourite were the Marilyn Monroe dress and the pastry dusted with icing sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cool. just love the mosses, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are both edibles, John! You've got Honey Mushrooms and Oyster Mushrooms. You can buy the latter in many stores here in SF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It actually looks like you have oyster mushrooms on top of honey mushrooms, which is odd enough that I'm going to backtrack and say these are all honey mushrooms. I hear they're edible, by the way, but I haven't eaten them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprised at the huge variety that you are finding!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They really are the weirdest plants. The more I see of them and the more I learn about them the odder they seem!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I admit that I find them rather fascinating. They always have the possibility of a deadly edge to them....

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Fungus Fair is this weekend in Santa Cruz.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my, would like to see those in the last shot better...they look edible...okay, I see someone else agrees with me. Well, on rereading his comment not sure what he means....will have to look up 'honey mushrooms.'

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.