The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Friday, February 27, 2015

Covered Bridges of Madison County


From the Archives - Iowa, 2012

There once were 19 covered bridges in Madison County, Iowa, only 6 remain today.  You can pay $50 for a two-hour guided tour of the bridges but it is more fun to search them out on your own.  One can pick up a free map from the Chamber of Commerce in Winterset which is pretty well centrally located among them all. One we didn't go to for it wasn't motor home friendly getting to it and another was clear across the county away from our intended direction of travel.  
Most of the six bridges were used in some way or another 
in the movie by that name starring Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood.


Pretty amazing the engineering in the construction of these covered bridges.

Some goober wanted his picture taken on the bridge.



10 comments:

  1. What happened to the others then? I think the covered bridges are brilliant, a real piece of history

    ReplyDelete
  2. That movie, sigh... I have seen it so many times. And now I see a real Clint Eastwood standing before the bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny comment from Bieb. I am still wondering why the bridges were covered in the first place but it makes a splendid sight for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the movie...one of my favorites. Meryl Streep is good in everything she does, and this one was no exception.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was some intricate stick-work in that one shot. We had many covered bridges where I grew up....interesting to see how those in Iowa differ from those I remember from Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like the goober shot. have never watched that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always been a fan of covered bridges, probably because I see so few of them. Old goobers, though, they always seem to be in the way everywhere I go. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm. $50 is a bit steep when you can figure it out yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, $50 is a bit high in my opinion. Half the fun is finding them on your own anyway. Parke County next to our county has I think 31 covered bridges...used to have more but some have been burned down.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.