A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Geo-caching


Geo-caching is a game/sport where using GPS coordinates you search out these hidden boxes. They can be hidden anywhere; cities, parks, mountain tops, wilderness areas, war zones, you name it.  It is a world-wide pastime with a website where you can gather information and share your experiences.  I don't play it.  I don't have a GPS.  I doubt I could follow it's directions either.  Inside the little box is a notebook so you can log in your GPS name and write a few words about your experience in locating the cache.  People sometimes leave little trinkets in the box for others.

One day years ago, by pure dumb luck, I stumbled upon this one hidden in a clump of Redwood trees far from any established trail in my next door State Park.  I've been up this way numerous times and you think I could find it again?  Nope! I was really beginning to think someone swiped it.  Ah but yesterday I looked some more and there it was hidden beneath a couple slabs of bark.  The last entry was a week ago, and before that was a year ago.  Not many come this way it seems.

And, the first of the wildflowers are starting to show in the park.  I doubt they will do well.  We are currently trapped beneath this dome of high pressure for weeks keeping any of the Pacific rain storms away.  The last several days have been nothing but gusty high winds.  Everything is so dry, even the air.  It is so lacking in moisture (the air that is) the humidity level is barely at 20%, (normal should be twice that much) it feels like desert air.  You feel it in your nose and throat.  Not good.



11 comments:

  1. So the risk for a forest fire is great now. Hope you get rain soon although I read somewhere that redwood can live with a fire now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those GPS games I don't understand, I had a friend who was besotted with the game and tried to explain it to me but wasted effort. That lack of rain is not good for nature and mankind aswell. Wish I could send you some of ours....

    ReplyDelete
  3. If all of our snow melts I can send it to you so you will have a ton of moisture :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to chuckle reading this, as the GPS is often somewhat unreliable at best, and finding an odd location would really be a challenge. Hope the rains come soon, or there will be wild fires.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! That looks like a calypso orchid. It's lovely. I'm jealous, because they don't grow down here where I live and I've never found one before (http://www.calflora.org/cgi-bin/species_query.cgi?where-calrecnum=1333).

    ReplyDelete
  6. our first wildflowers and peach blossoms were buried under snow and sleet the other day and now piles of fluffy snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen one of these boxes before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not done the geo-caching but my brother and niece do it. Not super involved in...just a bit for fun. I think I could become addicted if started cause I love a good puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard of it before. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not anything I'm interested in, but I know a lot of people are into it. I'm still trying to figure out GPS navigation when I'm out in my Jeep in the middle of nowhere!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post and great photos. We were out on an ATV ride last week in a very remote place in Nevada and found a tiny GEOcache box.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.