The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

My Other Home


From the Archives - Nebraska, 2012

Well, maybe in another life like 100 years or so ago.
Or if I was 40 years younger and was running away from someone or something.
Sure is a lot better than a sod house, that's for sure as a sod house would have disintegrated by now.
This trading post built as it is would be quite cool in the summers and yet able to retain heat very well in the winter.  Rain and high winds would not affect it in any way either.
About the only thing you'd have to be concerned about
would be a 2000 pound buffalo walking on your roof.

Here is the story behind this neat dwelling.




11 comments:

  1. The thought of a bison on the roof is kind of scary, John! Fascinating building. I have never seen anything like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful, John. Love the old building, and you are right about the roof for some unsuspecting critter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon,
    Due to the cold and windy weather, we have been hearing branches fall on our roof, the last week or so, but a Buffalo would be something else. I have never seen a structure like this except in the new-age homes, where they convert the roofs in lawn / garden.
    Good find!
    Have a Beautiful Day!!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just think of all the bugs and critters...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a real eye opener alright. whoooooooooooeeeeeeeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  6. What we now call an eco house. Very nice and still useable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are amazing stories, look at this house built only about two hundred years ago. And what we see now in New York and other big cities in the USA and the western world. What a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I do love a rustic bit of life. Currently living it! However!!!! I don't know about living in this or a sod house. Maybe a bit too rustic for me. The pioneers who paved the way had all kinds of courage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Talk about wishing walls could talk! This is one place for sure that would sure tell us a lot! Love the photo and glad you included the history.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was cleaning the other day I said not too long ago all I would have to do is sweep the dirt floor and wash a few dishes with well water. I forgot about shooing animals off the roof!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.