The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Native American Life


From the Archives - Arizona, 2012

Hopi Indian Pottery Shards





From 1290 to 1400 A.D. one of the largest Hopi Indian settlements was on this land. It consisted of two settlements of 4-5 villages. The two settlements were approximately 5 kilometers apart and had as many as 1100 and 1200 rooms respectively.  It makes you wonder how such a desolate land could support so many people but back then it probably looked a whole lot different than it does now.





9 comments:

  1. So sad that those old cultures often disappear by whatever reasons. Maybe in a couple of hundred or thousand years people are seaching in our stuffs we have left.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if this culture was caught up in the drying of the environment that is thought to have caused issues for other communities in what is now Arizona?

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  3. was it a look, touch, but don't take scenario?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm amazed that you can still find so many shards!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where these shards from some kind of exhibition or did you find it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the one with the bird track.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think there was a lot more water for one thing, not nearly as desolate as it is now. I love Native American history!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with EG. I am surprised that you can still find these. Pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.