The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Day the Music Died

 From the Archives - Iowa 2012

I'm a day late on this, but oh well.
 It was 53 years ago yesterday that Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and 
J.P. "Big Bopper" Richardson lost their lives an Iowa cornfield plane crash.

  The crash site is preserved to this day which you can reach after a quarter mile walk in the cornfield.



And too let's not forget the pilot died also.

I have a small deformed ear of corn from that field sitting in the Little House on the Highway.


14 comments:

  1. I wasn't aware of this memorial before. For me "the day the music died" was also "the day the music came alive"; it was the first time I'd heard this kind of music - we're talking about being 8 years old in England. I wrote about this on my blog in Feb 2012, unfortunately several days late for the anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice memorial on the spot . It means that only really hardcore fans wil visit this remote remembrance place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeh I remember that he died. So special to visit this place. Had to smile about you taking a corn from the field. I once took some fallen leaves home from the hedge of the house where Paul McCartney had lived in Liverpool....

    ReplyDelete
  4. now this makes me want to pull out my cds and play some of his music. awesome!! glad you shared. will put it on the "must see" list for sure. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea there was a memorial for the Big Bopper, and I do remember the day as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They were some of my favorites. I know there other sites with memorials ,but this is a pathetic lonely little site.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As true and pure as American Pie, thanks for showing this, I do hope to someday visit this place and take my own photographs. But until then, I do enjoy those that have made the trip. May this place remain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the day. So many have died in those small plane crashes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know he wasn't on that plane, but whenever I hear a John Denver song I mourn the music we lost by losing him so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice that they keep this memorial alive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the lesson in history, John.
    I knew many Don McLean songs, but didn't know the reason for "Bye Bye American Pie".
    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is amazing at the interesting stuff you find!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.