The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Drive-in Theaters


In all the miles we have traveled back and forth across America I can probably count on one hand, maybe two, the number of drive-in theaters I've seen along the roads.  This is not taking into account if they are still operating or not.  This one in South Dakota was still in operation, but only during like May through September  I think it was.  I can't recall as this was 3 years ago.  But got me to thinking while putting together this post - just how many are there left out there?  Well a quick internet search I found as of June 2014 there were 338.  One year earlier, June of 2013 there were 357.  
So we lost 19 in one year.    

But wait!  Another source reveals that in July 2014 there were 348.  So they built ten in one month! They are coming back...NOT.  Yet Wikipedia does mention a resurgence in what are called guerrilla drive-ins.  You'll have to look it up.

Nevertheless I am grateful for having lived in a time when drive-in movie theaters were in abundance and we went to them all the time.  I suspect many of you have memories of drive-ins.  I feel sad for the later generations who will never know how it was to watch a movie from inside your automobile with a speaker hanging inside from the window.  Remember having to start the car to run the heater so to get warm?  And then there was the run to the snack-bar in between movies and wandering around with your arms full of popcorn, sodas, boxes of candy and trying to locate your car?
Great times.





17 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I can't remember any but then I don't recall if we had any in the UK anyway. Always seemed like somthing I would enjoy goint to a drive in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An aspect of your way of living totally unheard of here in the netherlands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so typical American, to go to the movies in your car. I liked it to see in movies, it seemed so romantic to me to sit there with your boyfriend having a popcorn. We didn't know that here when I was young. There were even not that many cars. But there is something new going on here, in hot summer times you can watch a movie in the open air on a square with lazy beach chairs. So not a drive in but a sit in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We still have one in East Gwillimbury! Probably not for long, though, as a new subdivision is being built nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a drive in an hour or so from us - can't say I have been.

    Wombats are to say the least, solid!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  6. My folks popped our popcorn and loaded up Pepsis for us on Saturday night movie nights. And when we were teens....so many great memories of fun antics at the drive-in. My lips are sealed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOO, a wonderful memory. When I was in high school, my mom popped corn, we even took sandwiches, for the movie night...AND...the strongest memory I have of drive in's was that I had to be home from a date by 10:30...summertime, the movie didn't get started until it got dark, around 9 or so, and I seldom got to see the entire movie....:)
    We have a drive in movie here and the sound comes in thru the radio instead of the little window boxes....

    ReplyDelete
  8. My hub and I were just talking about what you said.

    We have one drive in near my daughters place left. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yup, went to a drive-in a time or two as a teen. :) these days, it is trendier to have a community movie showing against a building wall in the square - folks on blankets and lawn chairs and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My parents had a station wagon for a while in the 60s and it was great for the drive-in - you could lounge around in the back and eat and watch the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of our first dates was to the drive-in--to see LOgan's Run. Almost 39 years later and he still loves science fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have very vague memories of drive in theaters when I was a small child. My mom and dad would bring pillows and blankets and we kids would sleep through the movies. Oh gosh that was SO long ago!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We still have a drive in, right here in my small community. It is seasonal and will open next month. It gets a lot of business here. Nothing like sitting in the back of your pick up truck, in a lawn chair, to watch the show :) Of course, there is a playground on site as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I only went to a drive-in a couple times as a kid, but it was really a fun experience. I have no idea what movie I saw!! We still have a functioning drive-in in 29 Palms, CA. The Yucca Valley drive in is a swap meet. I really like the guerrilla drive-in concept.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember taking our boys in our station wagon and watching a movie. They usually fell asleep before the thing was over. Fun memories of a time gone by.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can think of 2, McHenry (Illinois) and there's one in Door County too that is definitely still operating. When I went to Door County with my kids about three years ago that's where we saw "Inception"! The one in Kenosha where we used to take the kids in their pajamas closed last season.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.