A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Cactus Blooming


We travel hundreds of miles to the deserts down south in search of cacti in bloom. When we come home my own cactus are in flowering mode.  You'd think I ought to just stay home. 

Some cactus are the one-day-wonder type of flower.  I can't remember if this is one that the flower will close and wilt away over night so I thought it best to get this picture now even though the sun had not been out all day long.  You'll notice there are two more buds waiting to open. 

Unlike yesterday's tiny eraser head sized flowers these blooms are larger than your fist.  








11 comments:

  1. Very nice, like they say sometimes it pays to stay at home

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I said yesterday, there really is beauty in all that prickly stuff. Love the bright color.
    Thanks for the tip about the bananas. I will have to try it. Makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blooming cactus almost seems a contradiction. All that dry and prickly with satin soft petals. A wonderful sight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic to see growing in the wild...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be happy at your place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All that beauty from such a prickly plant!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just perfect roses on the cactus. Aren't they beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So amazing. I love cactus blooms.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.