The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

America the Beautiful


We had just drove in on the road stretching out in the distant background and pulled over at a wide spot on top of the ridge to take in the view, and this is what was there.  I just stood there staring at this wondering what goes on in the minds of people that can deface and trash public lands with such ease and lack of guilt.

Sometimes I really don't give the human race that much longer in this world.

And the world will be a better place, given time to heal from the wounds we've inflicted upon it.

Worse still was that there were two tourists from Germany who had pulled over also for the view and some picture taking.  Very embarrassing.


14 comments:

  1. I take your point. I have come across things like that in the middle of nowhere and wonder why

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything of value is defenseless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tourists are becoming a nasty kind of people, this is terrible. Why painting a rock what is the point to do that? They have to leave a sign I was here, but who the hell cares. Nobody knows Debbie and I should certainly not want to know her. They can't just enjoy a place anymore. It is not only in your place, I see it everywhere

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saw this kind of mess at Robber's Cave..not the trash, but the graffiti. I don't understand why people think they need to leave a mark everywhere they go. It's the epitome of arrogance. But then, humans are so good at arrogance. Nature hardly stands a fighting chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Disgusting! Whoever did that obviously were not taught to respect our environment and countryside. From what I understand Germany is a very clean and tidy country, how embarrassing for us! (That would have been a gorgeous photo if not for the trash, how sad!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this today. I agree that the graffiti and litter are an embarrassment to our tourists and to us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I agree at the sadness of such behavior you really can't be surprised that humans like to the world they live in. What is sad is that some people have so little impact on others, on society, on anything that they are reduced to tagging rocks and dumping trash as their way of saying "Hey World, I'm alive and I am important".
    Equally sorrowful is a society that marginalizes such people giving them no better recourse for their emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are people you don't want to know and hopefully the number of them is very tiny compared to the good people in the world. It is just that their actions are so visible. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sad indeed. However, if one must see the bright side......we were once touring a cave (can't remember where), and the tour guide pointed out a section with a disgusting amount of graffiti on it. He said philosophically, "in about a thousand years, this graffiti will become pictographs that will teach society about an ancient civilization who once lived here!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. It happens over here as well John... embarrassing it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's everywhere. I get so made when I see trees that have carvings on them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Humans can such a messy bunch! Yep, very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heart breaking. I don't understand it either. Shame on the vandals who leave their mark and garbage everywhere. What are they thinking?! Awful.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.