A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Blacksmith Shop


This is what was left of the blacksmith's work area in Bodie.  There may have been more than just one blacksmith in the town.  Something I never considered until getting older and my hearing began to deteriorate was the damage done to the hearing of blacksmiths with that constant pounding of metal on an anvil.  They wore no hearing protection of any kind so it would be interesting to know just how affected their hearing was as they got on in years.  I imagine blacksmiths were almost completely deaf when old...like me.  Good place to work on those cold winter days of that area though.





8 comments:

  1. All the stuff I remember from when I worked in one as a kid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some things have improved indeed as the protection of the ears and the way a workplace looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That so much is still preserved. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you are correct that many older blacksmiths were deaf. Yep, a warm place to work in winter but not so great on a hot summer day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Impressed that the anvil is still there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You still see young guys working with no eye or ear protection! Oh to be young and immortal!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That anvil is still standing there. Wow!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.