The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Baby Rattlesnake


I was walking the trail when I came upon this little cutie sunning itself in between the patches of shade from the trees overhead.  It was less than a foot long (30cm).  It was stretched out straight when I first came upon it and didn't move at bit.  I thought it was dead, having been run over by a mountain biker.  I touched it with my walking stick and it then curled its head back around under the oak leaf.  The leaf will give you an idea as to how small its head was.  I then proceeded to break one of my own rules when it comes to wildlife photography - take a bunch of photos right away before you move for a better position, or in this case, try to move the subject out from beneath the leaf.  He would have none of my pestering him and immediately slithered off the trail into the leaf litter leaving me with this one and only picture.  I didn't get his tail in the picture where you could see his tiny little rattle buttons, too small to be of any use.  Nervertheless, a bite from a baby rattlesnake can be more toxic than from an adult for the venom is highly concentrated.  Lesson here: Take lots of pictures folks before you go messing around.  Have something in the camera before the critter gets fed up and takes off.

8 comments:

  1. Nice one, but not something to mesh with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't touch him or make him angry, but walk away from him. You captured him very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great capture. I had a nightmare about rattlesnakes just last night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you mentioned the part about the venom. I have heard that, and you can keep any snakes you find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you got a photo. Only snake we get round here is a grass snake. We do have venomous snakes which are Adders but they are very rare

    ReplyDelete
  6. That guy looks way tooooo big for me. I would have turned and gone the other way. You did get a great shot. Buddy in training for another run in 2 weeks. Will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never seen one that little!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.