A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Saturday, October 3, 2015

One For All



On the left is my hand-me-down iPhone 4 I inherited from my wife when she had to get the new model, which now happens to be an old model by two generations.  Surprisingly, Smartphones take really nice pictures.  But not when they are in my hands.  I cannot seem to hold the phone still enough while tapping the screen to make adjustments and "snap" the picture.

In the middle is my DSLR another hand-me-down from my wife when she had to have a newer model some years back.  It takes great pictures.  But I have grown tired of lugging it around on my hikes especially when I include two extra heavy lenses in the load.  So it has come time to say good-bye to the DSLR.  I sold my 70-300mm zoom and my 105mm macro lenses on eBay but will hang onto the camera itself, for after all it really is my wife's camera.

On the right is my trusty old point & shoot camera.  It used to take great pictures, but things have changed a lot since it was born and now it takes just okay pictures.  It is now in semi-retirement.


This is my new camera that will replace them all.  You cannot tell by the picture but it is the same size as the point & shoot up above, only a wee-bit fatter with that lens.  It has a 20.2 megapixel sensor. Now I am not all into counting megapixels as some people are.  But as it was explained to me by the guy at the camera store, the sensor on my old Canon was about a quarter inch square in size. This camera has a sensor the size of a large postage stamp.  Sony came out with their RX100 that has the same large sensor and this was Canon's response to it.

I compared both brands to each other reading all the "experts" reviews online and went with the Canon for I was already familiar with how they are set up (I didn't have to re-learn all that much), it had some qualities I was looking for and the Sony had some features that were not important to me. Also the Canon was cheaper.  I took my new camera out for a test ride on a hike yesterday.  I am not one that really notices all that much difference in pictures taken by one camera to another.  But even I could tell a whole world of difference, especially in the video I shot!  I like my new camera and so does my back.


16 comments:

  1. Congrats with your new camera and that it may give you a lot of nice pictures without the feeling that you broke your back by taking it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice! congrats on the new choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sensor of the G7 shold b ethe same as on the APC DSLR's not sure if your Nikon is or if it's Ful frame in which case I'd have kept useing the Nikon. I have the older verion of the canon you got rid of. How big is the Zoom on the G7

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like a point & shoot too when I'm wandering around the city since I can tuck it in a pocket or purse and not have to worry about looking like I'm carrying something valuable especially when exploring laneways, etc. You new one looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Probably a tough decision for you. I'm still pretty much in love with my Canon 5D II, but carrying around a 20 lb backpack full of lenses, batteries, and other stuff does get old. I wouldn't be surprised if I come to the same decision you did at some point, but not there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seems a bunch of us are going to the P&S cameras...just so much easier to pick up and go. I got mine to take with me to festivals, flea markets, etc....but find myself picking it up all the time. I still carry my DSLR in some cases, but not all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice new camera. I have been thinking of getting a Bridge camera.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also got a P&S camera until I'm recovered from hand surgery. Guess the doc was right when he said 6-12 months! I got the Canon G16 and have been very pleased with the photos. I still miss my 5D but it's better than not having anything but a cell phone which I've never figured out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting post - I do wonder how long the DSLR will last. I had a D90 for a long time - very nice camera.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting how the smaller cameras have improved in the past few years. I still love my DSLR but I have noticed that quite a few people have opted out...and their photos are still great. Congrats on your new camera!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on lightening the load. I've been thinking about doing the same thing, but I haven't done much research on the latest tools out there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm really glad you are using a point and shoot, and that your body will be happy. i've used a point and shoot bc is what i like and like a good cook that is not driven by what pots and pans they use, or soemthing like that. i;ve had a ton of fun with all previous point and shoot cameras ive ever had (2) until the lumix came around on a bday 5 yrs ago, i also really like it. =]
    looking fwd to see your new fotos with a nice n light set up

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just put my Canon Rebel to bed and went with the Nikon Coolpix P610, crossover and I LOVE IT and so does my back. i am going to do the same as you, keep the camera, sell the lens. i am at the age i will not be changing lens any more. my 60 zoom does a better job that the Canon lens...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That last statement tells it all for me....”and so does my back!” I cannot carry my Canon Rebel abound my neck anymore. It is way too heavy and I end up in bed with the spasms. I keep it in the car and will go back and get it, but I never go out with Bud with it on my shoulder or around the old neck. I am happy with my old IPhone 5...and the only resin I ended up with it was I cruched my 4 with my movable Buick seats. Bad Move.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh...Bud had huge runs in WV this weekend Three in there days. Will be posting this week about him.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.