A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Monday, December 21, 2015

Sonoma Valley Winery Gingerbread Contest


There are more than 400 wineries in Sonoma County.  Sonoma Valley (where I live) alone has dozens of wineries.  Each year at Christmas there is a Gingerbread Contest.  I thought it was a Gingerbread House Contest but eventually came to understand anything qualifies.  I checked out the creations at the wineries closest to my home.  "Vote for your favorite and you are entered in winning a case of wine".  It would be just my luck to win something I don't care for.

Imagery Estate Winery
This one got my vote for the most pathetic looking creation.  The wine tasting lady came by and told me that this was created in Dallas, Texas and sent here.  "It was amazing that it arrived intact."  
Okay, now I am impressed.


She pointed out how it was becoming a "victim of the environment" which I assumed the wine tasting room itself.  Yeah, the columns are getting wonky and the roof is caving in.

Except for the lettering, the label images are replicas of the winery's actual labels.

After looking at the accompanying booklet I then realized that the columns are supposed to be all wonky.  That is how the original artist created the image for their wine label!
I retract my "pathetic" vote and give it a Well done!

Another Gingerbread creation tomorrow.


4 comments:

  1. That is a contest I have never heard of, we don't have gingerbread houses here. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.