The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Friday, February 19, 2016

A Record Find


I have never seen this large of an outcropping of witches butter (I love that name) before 
so when I photographed it I assumed it was some similar type of fungi.

Back home I looked online and found various shapes, sizes and colors of witches butter shown so I'll go ahead and log this in as such and a record size find for me.  In the past what I have found were like those off to the side of the main mass shown here.

A lot of the ferns in my forest have suffered due to our drought here in California but this clump of sword fern was doing very well so I just had to photograph it.

9 comments:

  1. Never seen or heard about witches butter over here. An interesting kind of fungi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard about this witches, looks almost you smashed something dirty against the tree.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of witches butter...very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These darn ‘I’m not a robot” things are gonna be the death of me. I wrote you a nice comment and then lost it because I did not wait for the pictures to identify WITHOUT MY GLASSES. Buddy and I have seen these so often out at Dothan State Park where we go for our reunions, but we just called them fungi. I will have to tell him they really have a name. Hope you and Sinbad are doing OK. I am way behind in my commenting on blogs. Maybe it is because I am now the ugly 77! genie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I have ever seen that before. Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen witch's butter before. I'm going to Google it to find out more. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a big patch, whenever I see it it's no bigger than my thumbnail!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.