The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Monday, February 15, 2016

Waxy Caps


While hiking along I came upon a young lady stooped down taking pictures of some grass stems.  I stopped thinking she had found some mushrooms to photograph.  Nope.  I showed her the pictures of these I had as they were the find of the day for me.  She rattled off a Latin name so I figured this woman knows her fungi.  Knowing I'd never get the spelling correct I asked her what the common name was and she told me "waxy caps".  Putting together this post I searched images online for waxy caps and all types of mushrooms came up with only a couple images kind of looking like these.  
Oh well.  Call them whatever you want.  I think they're great by any name.
And too, for as pretty as they are I think they deserve a better name.  Any ideas?


11 comments:

  1. They look like little candy sweets to pick up from the ground. I don't care about the name, just call everything just a mushroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, i was thinking they reminded me of what i've seen called witches butter, but that's different. still yellow and slick looking, but different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a 'fungi' these days!

    But always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, but I would have no idea of their name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, they DO have waxy caps, John. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. They certainly are interesting and colorful, and set off perfectly by the neutral leaf background.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! I would probably go with http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Hygrocybe_punicea.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Splattered egg yolks...sorry I couldn't help it.
    They really are unusual and quite pretty, whatever their name.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are very striking and pretty, John. I'm enjoying your fungi themes, but that photo of the mosses is lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy, you were really on a mushroom find. These are so pretty. I have never seem them in all of our many walks. I love how the lady rattled of the Latin name. That sound like our friend that goes hiking with us so much. I can never understand the names he rattles off.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.