A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Saturday, March 12, 2016

Woodpecker Caverns


These are not just plain old holes made by woodpeckers, that is why the post is entitled like it is.
This is the work of a Pileated Woodpecker which is a large bird more like the size of a crow.

That is my iPhone 4 in there to give you a size reference.
What on earth could have been so deep within the tree to warrant all that work?

The upper most hole in the same tree.  
Poor tree.

 A picture of the culprit taken from the Internet.


8 comments:

  1. I should say this looks more as vandalism of young male woodpeckers. They must be bored...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a post once of a woodpecker in our garden who made that holes in a hazelnut tree and put then a nut in such a hole to crack it. Perhaps here the same for another nut to crack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buddy and I just looked at this in amazement. We lost one tree to these fellows, but never saw anything like this. Seeing your iPhone about knocked off our socks. This is a great post for folk like us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful bird and a hard worker too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is a lot of work. We have a lot of these birds here also. I find your blog to be very interesting and love all your photos on here. I am a new follower to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caverns indeed! I never would have guessed these were made by a woodpecker.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.