A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Tuesday, April 19, 2016

A New Location

We moved northward in the Mojave National Preserve 
and saw this interesting rock outcropping along the way.

Somewhere off in the distance the rain was pouring down.

I thought we might get some of this rain but it blew on away from us.
For most of the time on this trip it was bundle-up weather with a constant wind.

I was walking through a sandy wash and finally came upon some flowering plants.

This plant belongs to the evening-primrose family and has several names: Basket Evening-primrose, Lion-in-a-cage, or Devil's Lantern.  Oh the names taxonomists dream up. 




6 comments:

  1. Amazing looking outcrop, like some one punched it through the soil. The flowers are little beauties

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not looking like the normally jumping colors of the desert flowers. Stil a nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing pictures of the rock formations and the views over the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful.

    I love the triumphant flower at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scenery looks surprisingly similar to Utah. We have evening primrose here, too, although the species might be a little different. Lovely photos. It's always interesting to watch a rainstorm blowing in across the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still on blogbreak, but just checking in. I LOVE the second and third shot! Wonderful feel to them.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.