The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

A Sad Day


Sinbad is fine.  The title to this post might cause you to think otherwise so I'll put that out first.  
No, the sad day part is I sold my motorcycle last week.  Motorcycles have been a part of my life since my first one nearly 50 years ago.  So it is as if a chapter of my life has come to a close, and for me that is sad.  I just didn't ride it all that much anymore and it seemed silly to keep buying insurance and registration for something that just sat, unused.  Oh I still enjoyed riding but as of late it seemed I went for shorter and shorter rides feeling like I had went for a really long ride afterwards.  
Just part of getting old I guess.

10 comments:

  1. I know that feeling but it is part of reality I think. Still we can enjoy nice bikes when we see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling. I sold my Mini a few years ago, I had owned it for 21 years and modified it to a high spec bit I used it little and when I did the devil came out in me. In the end after doing something a bit stupid I felt if I did not get Sell the Mini it would kill me so sadly I let it go for some one else to enjoy. Mind you I do get the urge to get another every so often, the devil is still there

    ReplyDelete
  3. A sad day indeed, when you suddenly realise to face reality: you are getting older. No "Easy rider" feeling any more....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, such a pretty bike...like an old friend. Sad day, but you can still borrow a friend's bike once in awhile maybe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too. I really feel you. Got hit by an SUV totaling my Yamaha Zuma scooter 3 weeks before moving from Hawaii. Been riding since 16 (almost 50 years) and it was a big part of my life. But. . . . . I probably will not be buying a new one here in Cali. Feels right. Seems wise. Only a tiny sadness about it. . . . . Now you and I can both live long long lives!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a really fun bike. I can see why you kept it so long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhh. i'm glad you got rid of it, though, on your own terms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my, can I relate to you and this post about you motorbike. Some of the rings I have sold not because I just was;t using then anymore but because my back just would not allow it. It is sort of like you begin going through the stage os grief. Selling spinning wheels was awful...and giving away sewing machines is the grimmest. But it is just part of aging and the physical things that go along with the aging. I am so glad you sold it BEFORE you got in a situation like mine where you HAD to get rid of it. All of my flip flops are sealed up in a big box in the outbuilding. I cannot bear to give them away....but the physical therapist has told me - after falling and tripping numerous time - I am a serious accident just waiting in the wings to happen. Hang in there my friend. No more plane rides....back will not allow it. We have our memories and they are the best. You took fine care of that pal of yours so now he can become the best pal of his new family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sold my '81 Yamaha XJ650 when I was 30 & was bikeless for 20 years after that. I bought a 125 scooter for commuting when I was 50 & now 5 years later upgraded 6 months ago to a Suzuki GSX750F & lovin' it. No doubt like yourself the time will eventually come when age will catch up with me but hopefully I'l have many more riding years left in me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Getting old is such a bummer. But staying alive and healthy has its pleasures. Thankfully, you have other passions that keep you in the game.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.