The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Monday, May 9, 2016

Baby Joshua Trees


For all the times I have been to the desert I have never seen small starts of a Joshua Tree before.
This was a first for me.

New seedlings may grow 3 inches a year for the first 10 years 
and then slow down to 1.5 inches growth a year thereafter. 

 In the background you see one coming to its life's end.  Joshua trees can take as long as 60 years to fully mature and may live 500 years or more.  
The largest one known was 80 feet (24 meters) tall and thought to be 1000 years old.

Their trunks have thousands of small fibers and lack growth rings like normal trees do so it is difficult to tell there actual age in most case.  The bark is extremely hard and tough.  It'd have to be in that harsh desert environment which helps to conserve moisture. 

I just had to show this picture again of my little buddy near a very healthy and handsome Joshua Tree.

8 comments:

  1. Looks more like a young yucca but of course they are from the same habitat. Very nice to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nature lesson this morning. Kitty looks healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever seen that either. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. harsh bark from such a humble beginning. love seeing sinbad looking healthy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both Sinbad and the tree are looking good. Interesting to find baby Joshua trees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see Sinbad out and about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The baby tree looks like a cactus to me. You can tell I have never been in a desert. It just amazes me that anything can grow there especially the little flowers. They are so beautiful. I bet Sinbad is thinking what I am...Why is it called a Joshua Tree? So sad to see the one that is about to give up its life.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.