The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Always Learning


I've wanted to do a portrait of Sinbad for a long time but having never done fur before I didn't know how to go about it.  I looked through the few drawing books I have on animals to look for examples. Most were sort of vague on the fur part so I just went for it.  It came out better than I expected and I learned how to get the effect I was looking for.  I quit this drawing before actually finishing it for I feel I can improve upon it the next time I draw my little buddy.  This is from a photograph when he was younger and looked better.  Don't we all.


11 comments:

  1. Wow, looks good and the fur really soft as must be. Great try John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks wonderful, I am looking forward to see the differences in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For someone who just went for it, you sure did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just amazing, looks wonderful and effective

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just amazing, looks wonderful and effective

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's marvelous! i love the light you captured/depicted in his eyes/face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's perfect, glad you are drawing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice picture, but how could you fail with such a classy model?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sinbad is purrfect just the way he is. You did a wonderful job...lots of tap, tap, tapping. I reshot the bird with a 50mm lens on my Canon but it keeps telling me something about the lens needing cleaning or something. I have to read about what I need to do. I used the stippling in my flower pictures and liked the way it turned out. Thanks for all the help and your suggestions. genie

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.