The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Day 26



In today's walkabout in the desert I stumbled upon someone's abandoned retreat hidden in a gully.

What was once a shade structure I figured were the sleeping quarters 
as there was the green metal hammock sling inside.  
That little flashlight hanging right in the center of the photo still worked, just barely.

A wood hammock sling outside.

Safe to assume this is the dining area.

Next to it the den or general living area?  
Notice the wind generator and the wood box on the post was wrapped shut with wire 
and all I could see inside was a curly telephone wire.

This must be the office.

If you need to make a telephone call hopefully you brought some change with you.
Why would anyone haul these things all the way out here?

This was dated August 2013.

Maybe the old desert hermit who lived here looked something like this guy.

You never know when you might need a boat in the desert.


Up on the nearby slope were these three solar panels.  The wire had long ago been cut in several places.  Under the covered box were two batteries.  No way for me to tell if the panels still worked or not.  And they were heavy too so they must be of early technology was my guess.

I know you are wondering but no, I never did locate the bathroom.  
On my way back to camp I came across this.  
It is obviously marking something important but I have no idea what.


6 comments:

  1. It doesn't matter how remote you are. You always find some left traces of previous visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mysterious items in a deserted area, much to explore there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are definitely some strange things that go on out in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do find some odd things in the middle of know where I must admit even I have round some of the more remote places in this country and you have to wonder why

    ReplyDelete
  5. The desert: where dreams go to die.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.