The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Day 27


After the first couple of days in the desert I realized my mistake in leaving my tire covers at home.  The desert sun was cooking the tires on the one side.  Oh if I just had something to cover them with.  Even some cardboard would do.  Then one day a week or so later I spotted what looked to be some canvas in a dry wash.  I pulled it out from under the bushes, flattened it out and realized that it was a windshield cover people put on the car they are towing behind their RV.  "This might do."  Back at camp I cleaned off the caked mud and dirt, duct taped some tears, cut it in half and clamped them in place.  They aren't the prettiest tire covers but they are doing the job.  


Then there was the spare tire that was getting baked but only for half a day.  Well, when I was working on that solar panel modification the next day I thought I'd hike along the highway and maybe find some better metal for the solar panel supports.  I found only a license plate.  On my way back there stuffed under a creosote bush from the flood waters was something black.  I pulled it out and couldn't believe my good fortune - a tire cover specifically for a spare tire!  After cleaning it up I found it fit perfectly.  Not only that, but its nicer than the one left at home sitting in the garage!


8 comments:

  1. Not only are you ingenious, you're also lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you all can find in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seek and you shall find or at least come across what you hand made do with. Never realised tyres deteriorate like that so quickly in the Desert

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing what useful things you find in the desert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very convenient, but rather sad that people dump this stuff in the desert. At least it'll be cleaned up a bit by your thrift and inventiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Playing catch up John. I'm amazed at all your recent posts...serendipity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice scavenging! Good to know about needing to cover tires out there. I'd never heard of that.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.