A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Saturday, November 5, 2016

Day 9


Snails in the desert?  How can that be?  I've seen these before but this is the best, most perfectly formed shell I have ever come across.  These are not fossils but recent inhabitants.  They spend most of their lives resting under rocks waiting for the rains.  They seal off their opening to prevent from drying out.  I should add I have never seen a live one, only the empty shells.
This one is 5/8ths of an inch across.  12mm I think that converts to.



4 comments:

  1. Quite odd seeing a snail in the desert, more the thing you see in my garden. BTW 5/8ths = anout 16mm 12.7mm = 1/2"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wonder how they survive.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.