The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Day 118


A couple weeks back I went to a place I had camped before years ago called Mittry Lake on the Colorado River.  It has individual spots along the river to camp at and as I crawled along the rough washboard road every spot was occupied.  It wasn't looking too good then all of a sudden I came upon a nice spot overlooking the water. 

Behind me was a branch of the lake and then I discovered there was no cellphone service to be had.  This meant no blogging or no nothing on the Internet.  As I ate lunch I thought about it and thought maybe up the road a ways further, so I moved on. Still nothing and no more camp spots.  I couldn't turn around and if I could I wasn't relishing crawling back on that rough road only to find someone took the primo spot.  I crossed the river over into California to go to Senator Wash where again I have been a long time ago.  Well now it is no longer free and there were hoards of people there.  Now what?  I went back out to the highway, turned left and returned to where I was back in December finding it peaceful and quiet once again. 

Its nice to have a plan but always leave room for changes to your plan.
Some patriotic soul swam across and climbed those rocks to plant the Stars and Stripes.




1 comment:

  1. That flag sign is a real American idea. Is it an old pioneer habit, this is our place? I never see flags here around, only when there is a celebration day and than not everyone does so. We don't even own a flag:)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.