The test of an adventure is that when you are in the middle of it, you say to yourself, "Oh, now I've got myself into an awful mess; I wish I were sitting quietly at home." And the sign that something is wrong with you is when you sit quietly at home wishing you were out having lots of adventure. -Thornton Wilder

The nice thing about being confused is you get a chance to notice things a lot better than if you knew where you were going.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

Friday, March 3, 2017

Day 127

Today's hike was extra special.  I found a Western Diamond Back rattlesnake.
I saw him before he saw me.  Those are the good kind of snake finds.
A wonderful set of rattles and I caught his tongue out in the shot.

He was moving across a sandy wash as I was walking down the wash.
They must be just starting to come out from hibernation.

What a beautiful animal.  He was four feet long for sure. 
 He was very docile and only rattled when I moved around him for different camera angles.

Another photo enlarged showing off that fascinating forked tongue.

 It wasn't just a good day, it was outstanding!


13 comments:

  1. A great find! And fabulous pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice that it had a signal band near its tail not uncommon to road workers for signing a tough spot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome photos. Snakes are not my favourite creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You caught hem very well, so close and so detailed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, I spent over a week looking for one! I'm so jealous. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great shots! He's impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I would be backing away slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I would be backing away slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots of the rattler! I like finding one first, in plenty of time to keep my distance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uh, how to phrase this.....NOT docile!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always an exciting find! Definitely nice to see them first too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.