A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Thursday, March 9, 2017

Day 133


I didn't expect to out do the rattlesnake find of a few days ago (Day 127) but today I did.
I was toolin' along on my bike and swerved to miss a boulder in the road.
"That was no boulder!"

I have come across many more rattlesnakes in my desert travels than I have Desert Tortoise so this was super exciting for me to find.  Wonderful animals they are.

It is believed you can tell the age of a Desert Tortoise by counting the rings on one of those sections of the shell but unlike a tree these rings do not form annually for their growth period is irregular due to varying conditions.  Nevertheless this guy is pretty old but I think I have him beat.

Okay. you're becoming annoying.

That's it.  I'm outta here.

Another outstanding day in the desert!

9 comments:

  1. What a harsh climate to find such a creature surviving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never ever thought one could find a tortoise in the desert. Awesome find and awesome pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He has a certain rugged beauty! I hope he (or she?) lived many more years in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason I love turtles, tortoises, and frogs. This would be the highlight of many days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cool finding one of those in the road

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool finding one of those in the road

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.