A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Friday, April 14, 2017

Why Beans?


Beans the Cat was the third cartoon character introduced in the Warner Bros. Looney Tunes series in 1935.  Unfortunately for Beans he was created at the same time as was Porky the Pig.  Theater goers were more taken by the stuttering porker and in 1936 poor Beans was eventually dropped.

More recently in 2011 Paramount pictures released a film called Rango which won an Oscar as the best animated feature film of the year.  One of the main characters was Beans "La Vaca" Sanchez an intelligent, tough, and quick-witted female desert iguana.  She was just Beans in the movie. 

That name stuck with me but I never thought of using it for any reason as Sinbad was still with me. Jump ahead a few years and I found myself adopting new cat.  Her name was Rainbow Dash. That had to go! The memory of Beans from the movie came up from nowhere in my mind and that's the story as how my Beans got her name.  Rainbow Dash?  Good grief!!!

Sleeping update:  Beans sleeps in bed with me now, right smack dab in the middle!  
"I'll take this spot.  You can have the all the rest of the bed.  I don't see a problem with that, do you?"



  


8 comments:

  1. Nice explanation and I see that Beans has already some peculiar signs of becoming a great character . Best to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Beans is a far better name than she had before! We once had a "second hand" cat with the name Naomi, that didn't work, the name has to have a clear vowel I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that Beans is getting her new human trained. When I shared a house with several other students at university we had a cat called Audrey who acquired her name because we thought it was the daftest name a cat could possibly have. However Rainbow Dash certainly runs it close..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beans is definitely a better name. Sounds like she's happy and settled in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cats in my life have been Sandy, then we got Pandy, who produced kittens Randy and Dandy. Later cats were Midge, Dixie and finally, Marmo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a teenager I once had a crush on a girl named Bean. I can't for the life of me remember if that was her real birth name. Beans is a nicer name than La Vaca, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha, Beans seems to have made herself right at home in your bed. I like the name.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.