A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Dinosaur National Monument



At a roadside rest along the way.


We are camped on public land within the monument boundary but not where the main visitor center and campgrounds are located.  There is no one else around.  There is this variety of cactus that grows here only a few inches above the ground and that which is among the grasses is difficult to see.  Beans avoided it really well but finally got a few stickers in her hind foot.

At this point I carried her back to the RV and wondered if she would let me get the stickers out without a fight.  Nope.  Ever sit on a cat and try to pick stickers out from between the pads of their foot?  Great fun.  I finally got a clump of three and then let her go.  She was really mad but a few minutes later we were friends again.  That must have been all the the thorns as I haven't seen her working on her foot anymore.

I've been here to Dinosaur monument before and don't think I'll drive on in any further as nothing has been added in the last 65 million years so why go and deal with all those people?




4 comments:

  1. Beans looks great in the camper and in the field, a real explorer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Beans, nothing worse that getting someting in your foot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are the cactus spines straight or barbed, making them hard to get out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are really tiny ones (cactus) that are invisible, but plenty irritating, growing all over the ground. Poor little darling...I've felt her pain. You think your on dirt, but if you sit or kneel down, you soon learn how prevalent these things are. Love that park, though. Haven't been there in decades.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.