A Traveler and his Cat exploring America.





Saturday, May 13, 2017

Random Thoughts




A vendor at a roadside view point.
I would have taken more pictures but the guy lept out from his car and started his sales pitch.


The pots were like $25 to $35 and quite nice, but where would I keep it?


And there is this to consider too.
"Who me?  Wow, this is some good stuff!"

At another view turnout

and I see this on the sign.

Yes, I still do miss him terribly and sometimes use his name when talking to Beans.
But Beans is doing an outstanding job of taking over where Sinbad left off
and I am very very happy to have her by my side.

Cat Facts


While out walking with Beans one evening I noticed how her hind foot stepped directly onto the footprint left by the front foot, essentially leaving only a set of two tracks in the sand instead of four. I was interested if this was a trait of cats only and if there was any advantage for them with that, so I looked it up. What I discovered was not what I expected.

Cats walk with both feet on the same side of the body in motion while the feet on the other side are firmly planted on the ground. (There are slow motion videos showing this) This style of walk is unique with cats shared only by camels and giraffes. Also, this method of walk is inefficient in the sense they are unable to use any kinetic energy in their motion as do all other four legged animals. The result is they are not good for long distance sustained walking. The article didn't expand as to why cats developed this way (it kind of alluded to the fact that simply no one knew) nor addressed the fact that camels seem to be good at long distance walking.

Whenever I took Sinbad for walks and the same too with Beans, they always stopped and looked around a lot. I always figured that was a cat thing surveying the landscape for any prey or threats. Now I think they were just resting. On one long walk with Beans the other day she began to pant and did so again once back in the RV. It wasn't even that warm outside and I wondered why on earth is she panting? Now I know, she probably overdid it and had worn herself out.

So I learned something thanks to Beans and now just allow her to set her own pace and take those frequent breaks now understanding why.

Oh, and that incident of pulling the harness down over her head was just a one-time thing.  The next time she did a one paw action with the harness and now just sits there knowing I'll come down to her head with the harness.




3 comments:

  1. Sinbad gave a goodbye from wherever he is on the sign! You learn a lot about cats, I didn't know about the walking. Maybe you have to carry her sometimes on your shoulders :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I stopped here on a previous cross country trip, I remember being up really high and looking out over fantastic scenery. San Raphael Knob I think it was called.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I stopped here on a previous cross country trip, I remember being up really high and looking out over fantastic scenery. San Raphael Knob I think it was called.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate my commenters. Thank you. Sometimes you may ask a question which I am all too happy to answer. But if your comment comes in as Betsy-noreply-comment - I cannot reply back. Change you comment settings to include an e-mail address and then bloggers can reply.